Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Disneyfication of Animation Blog 8

Blog 8

I always liked reading about Disney since there are so many takes on it. As mentioned in class I also grew up with it. It’s really interesting to think where Disney obtains its stories. If you count their major motion pictures such as Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Alice in Wonderland, Aladdin, Hercules, and The Princes and Frog, they all come from legends and folktales. Also if you think about it the female characters are usually the protagonists. Although with some exceptions such as The Lion King, Aladdin, and Hercules.

I feel for the most part Disney does a good job of showing the female character’s point of view. Alice goes on an adventure in Alice in Wonderland, Belle dreams of getting away from her small town life in Beauty and the Beast, Ariel explores sunken ships in The Little Mermaid, and Mulan goes to war in Mulan.

The Lion King also resembles Kimba the White Lion. The names are very similar as well as the plot line. For instance both lion cubs lose their fathers and hesitate with becoming king. This link compares them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S0nnCTlcIM

Art in Motion talked some about censorship and promotional strategies. I think Disney’s done a fairly good job of staying family orientated although they may have jokes that go over the kids heads. They also market themselves to the point where I get tired of seeing so many adds and previews. Although, it would be hard to imagine Disney not being apart of my life.

Magen Thornhill

1 comment:

  1. I can relate to what you say regarding Ren & Stimpy. Though I loved and watched the show since childhood, I do remember talking to a lot of my friends and them mentioning that they did not like the show either when they were kids. They actually mentioned the show scaring them. I guess the gross humor would have something to do with it, but I also think it is due to the content of Ren & Stimpy, which employs a lot of psychodrama in its presentation. Some examples being the hyperactive, erratic, sometimes violent ways in which the characters act. An example of what I am getting at can be seen in the link below to the ending of the "Sven Hoek" episode. The scene starting at around 3:30 of the clip where Ren comes home is evident of such characteristics that could have scared young children who were used to the Disney depiction of animation.

    And on a separate note, thank you for the compliment regarding the stop-motion project.

    ReplyDelete