Sunday, February 21, 2010

Experimental

Experimental

Post 6

The readings for this week were about experimental animation. I never cared much for experimental animation since I prefer something with a narrative. Although what I got from the book was that a viewer can take away different meanings from experimental animation. I agree some of it is very well done. It can be very beautiful visually. I really think it’s up to the viewer to consider what experimental means to them.

I think a lot of experimental animation has a lot to do with sound. It helps to give an impression like in The Boy Who Goes Boing. The visuals and sound usually go together very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdUUx5FdySs

This isn’t experimental but it’s an example of how visuals and sounds go together. There’s no dialogue and it’s a student project, using Maya about a kiwi bird. I’ve just always loved the piece since it conveys so much emotion.

The reading also talked about how the brain worked which was interesting since I found a lot of it related to me. Such as when I’m working for awhile I’ll start daydreaming. The readings also mentioned mandalas and Pythagoras which also adds importance to sound in animation. Sound can be technical and have its own rhythm. However, it can also be relaxing and have a mystical feeling.

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way you do about experimental animation. Sometimes it's cool, but sometimes it's kind of lame. I think in some episodes that have experimental animation, the fact that you can take away different meanings kind of hurts it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I prefer narrative because you can get more out of it I think. They say how experimental can mean different things for everyone, but I think it can sometimes not give any meaning. Some days I can't concentrate to really look at different meanings and I just want to watch something good and something obvious. I've seen that Kiwi short before, I've always liked it and to me it has a meaning in itself because it is a short narrative. The sound in that short provoked a sort of dreaming feeling like what the Kiwi experiences, almost like we can read his mind.

    ReplyDelete