Sunday, February 21, 2010

Narrative Strategies Continued

Narrative Strategies Continued

Post 5

I really liked the lecture on narrative. Now that I think about it I see metamorphosis in several animations. I’ve also seen it in anime. Although, with anime I think it more has to do with the characters’ expressions. With anime that’s supposed to be realistic I don’t see it as much. I was surprised by the Betty Boop cartoons. I’ve seen a couple of them in the past but it was such a long time ago I don’t remember too much about them. It just seemed the cartoons pushed boundaries especially for the time period.

I’ve seen elliptical cuts before. I think they go along with condensation in order to give a lot of information in little time. With series I don’t see it as much but it’s really common in shorter animation or if maybe a cartoon has a fifteen minute episode and the story doesn’t carry over. For instance Ed, Edd, n’ Eddy. Each episode is short, to the point, and non continuous. There is also a lot of fabrication.

I really liked the concept of showing animation to make a statement as in Jumping. It felt very surreal, made a powerful statement, and had a variety of deeper meanings. The Hand used symbolism and metaphor to make a statement. I was very into the story and hoping the main character was able to break away from the hand. I feel it’s really amazing what animation is able to get across.

I’ve never seen Who Framed Rogger Rabbit before but now I just may have to check it out. The animation and live action worked very well together. Although now there’s films like Avatar where the animation is virtually undetectable. Jessica really embodies human characteristics and the film combined several different elements such as acting, performance, the uncanny, and the choreography was very well done.

Penetration in animation, I think would be a lot easier to do than in live action. It’s easy for animation to draw someone into a different world and make an impression. For instance Silent Hill when the protagonist has to deal with a disturbed little girl. Sound really helps to get the story across in animation. It can set the mood as in The Boy Who Goes Boing. I also think sound can go with acting and performance due to voice acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment